Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Eye Break: Timeless French Hotties

Bonjour, bonbon babies!

It's P. here from What Possessed Me. So pleased and honored to be kicking off the week's guest posts with a little visual inspiration while Deb is knockin' 'em dead in Paris.

Deb asked us to post a little something with a French theme for this fine internet publication. Somehow in the past year, I overdosed on striped t-shirts and macarons (especially the macarons. Which is why I can no longer wear horizontal stripes). But I never grow tired of these classic French beauties - I come back to them again and again when I need an eye break, a nudge, a reminder. They seem to represent so much of what I admire about French women.


Catherine Deneuve. The freshness of a black scarf tied around the hair. The sassiness of a bow. The return of charm. The allure of a sidelong glance. The utility of a cashmere sweater. The sexiness of the demure.

(I have no idea what to say about the dog. But it's cute, non?)



Brigitte Bardot. Cigarettes as diet aides (effective, but ill-advised). That black scarf again - this time dangerous, capable, and rugged. Again, the sidelong glance - this time saying, "Your face is mace, Jean-Louis" (but in French). The badassery of kohl-rimmed eyes. The collar askew, the hair tousled - the perfection of imperfection.



Charlotte Gainsbourg. The aura of intelligence. The surprise of shyness. The coolness of menswear. The awesomeness of not caring - and still being beautiful.

Whose look inspires you?

11 comments:

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

J'adore Brigitte Bardot!

Elizabeth said...

When I was growing up the French were so indescribably cool that it terrified one.
In St. Tropez in 1967 I felt so very large and English and gauche that it haunts me to this day.
Still way cool.

Maria | Vintage Simple said...

Charlotte. Hands down. (But I may be biased since I'm a brunette.)
-maria

Amy@OldSweetSong said...

Great post! I'll pick Brigitte Bardot, but it might because I miss being a smoker sometimes.

Cassaundra said...

i love charlotte gainsbourg - she's so beautiful!

Bonbon Oiseau said...

so lovely! i'll take charlotte on friday, brigitte on saturday and catherine, easy like sunday morning...what a great post p--merci buckets ma cherie! and brava! (and cheers to that horizontal stripe thing..mon dieu!

ashley english said...

Your lovelies are all quite lovely. I'd like to add to the stunningness the exquisite Marion Cottillard. Elle est tres jolie, non?

Shokoofeh said...

It IS a great post P.! :) I think I miss Paris! :D

My Castle in Spain said...

i have a weakness for Catherine Deneuve...ok in fact i adore her ! i was once queuing behind her at Pierre Hermé's rue Bonaparte and wanted so much to say something and just couldn't!
BB is irresistible
i love Charlotte too but i think i prefer her mother
lovely Frenchie post !

Mlle Paradis said...

I'm a dark french girl. It will always be Isabelle Adjani, Sophie Marceau, Carole Bouquet, Anouk Aimee, Romy Schneider., Claudette Colbert, Jeanne Moreau., and of course les imbattables Marion Cotillard and Audrey Tautou. C. Deneuve is exquisite but dark girls rule.

Melissa de la Fuente said...

Too true, too true....these ladies have it down, no? Thanks for this hun, it is indeed inspiring! :)
xo
Melis
ps Lauren Hutton inspires me!