Friday, September 11, 2009

Today in Numbers

image from moonmilk

Today has been a sad day for nine years now. Each year I think about the year before and the year before that and how life has gone on here in this city and my life has gone on in this city and how other people's lives go on.

Last night I walked out to get toilet paper from the corner store and I could see across the river like it was right in front me, the two beams of light that represented where the World Trade Center had been. They were shining deep into the sky through clouds that diffused and spread their light outwards. It was like little light messages being sent by the millions.

And this morning, the winds are blowing with force and I am sitting and drinking a cup of tea before I head into the studio and start this busy day of planning for Paris, and orders to fill and making a hundred "important" decisions about this and that. I am watching the rain force down perfectly straight and hard at exactly 9:11 a.m. and think about how hard it is sometimes to take the next moment and move on.

8 comments:

Shokoofeh said...

...

There is no word... there is no explanation...

just a wish. for the world.

p e a c e

erin said...

beautifully written. xo.

Marie said...

..we saw them last night as we crossed the Gowanus Canal...there they were, suddenly.

Talking about it never works, so one doesn't. I must have written a post in my head ten times but I can't, so thank you.

cindy* said...

lovely words deb. xoxo

dee said...

I will second that.

Cindy said...

well said. xo, c

Amy@OldSweetSong said...

Just got chills. This is beautiful, friend. Love to you.

Unknown said...

Eight Years now : )