Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Monday Dose of Inspiration on a Tuesday: Post Number 666: Perversity on the Adriatic

setting up the picnic. photo by the fabulous Elizabeth

Oh happy new week friends. I am behind in just about everything, emails, phone call answering even finding the week's inspiration of which I have many. I'm too damn relaxed this week. Sunday some of the New York chapter of "Blogging Crew for Boondoggling on the High Seas" met up and we had a little picnic which was great! fun! incredible! I am so happy to know such great women! My cheeks hurt from laughing and I am still feeling good today, two days later.

So today, in honor of my 666th post and life's incredibly cool chicks, today's installment pays tribute to the incredibly cool chick artist Swoon who sailed into Venice today on boats made of what might otherwise be known as trash. She and a crew of some of my favorite New Yorkers built the boats in Slovenia where they set sail, uninvited, for the (otherwise pretty dull if you ask me) Venice Biennial, docking and doing performances along the way. I am inspired by anyone unafraid to be perverse and leading an absolutely DIY life...aka balls of steel. Respect.

Check out Swoon's "Swimming Cities" projects here and meet the crew here...






Swimming Cities of Serinissima
from the Swimming Cities Flickr Set

15 comments:

onesilentwinter said...

These are gorgeous!! oh my- dream like quality- a fairytale of modern gypsys! love it deb, needed it!

my word verifaction is "exist" yes.

cindy* said...

balls of steel are my favorite. r.e.s.p.e.c.t!

amazing pictures, awesome inspiration once again...and, is there any way to be too relaxed? hells no!

erin said...

oh holy! these are AMAZING! love love love. i wanna be on one!

Elizabeth said...

What very fun heaps of STUFF
I love them
Do you remeber the "NEUTRINO"
which used to lurk near Barttery Park City but then went to Ireland


a most unsea-worthy crate
much love

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

awesomeness! I want to live on one :)

P. said...

Yar matey - I say the next boondoggle should be on the floating city. But will there be Italian lemony fizzy goodness and deviled eggs? That is the question.

Christine--RHP said...

OMG--how freakin cool is that? I have an old friend who I haven't heard from in wayyyyy too long who had made a vessel out of garbage and toured around the Atlantic coast in it...I think they also sailed down the Mississippi. thanks for reminding me.

Vana said...

wow...that is just breathtaking...it amazes me to know there are people out there who think of such things! I love the picture before the last one...beautiful contrast!!

AC said...

i love swoon! great pics and great looking picnic!

Clementine said...

HOLY CRAP that's cool. I'm in awe. wow.

Cindy said...

wow, they are pure seaworthy magic!

Alyssa said...

whoa! this is incredible! I think this needs to be a documentary or indie film :)

Melissa de la Fuente said...

Ah, I am still smiling thinking of our lovely picnic as well, you were a beauty of a host darlin! :) These are amazing shots, I particularly love the one at night....wow. Thanks for the introduction.
xo
Melis

mosey said...

holy crap! and i though houseboats were cool...

Unknown said...

I heard about this project...so cool.