Monday, June 23, 2008

Life's a Bowl of Weekend, Part One

I had a pretty great weekend-- an all Brooklyn weekend--the longest days of the year are my favorites and I'm glad we spent them well and together.
Saturday, woke up early and picked up some foxy looking things from the Green Market at McCarren Park. More garlic scapes and lettuces, radishes and strawberries and my new favorite soft goat cheese from Consider Bardwell Farm, more jam (we are jam addicts this year) and fresh eggs and Jim picked out some awesome spicy sausage for the grill but best of all I picked up a big box of the first cherries of the year.
Cherries have always made me crazy with excitement. Maybe it's because they're so visually compelling, or the first sour-sweet taste of them that speaks... summer...spitting the pits out, hoping a tree grows in its place, juice the prettiest tint of red...

OH Cherries! You are folksy, American and innocent, so how are you so sexy and decadent and debonair as well?




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fresh cherries really are sexy in a wholesome way... and your photos are wonderful! Funny to think that we probably stand in the same lines at the Farmer's Market every Saturday! :-)

Bonbon Oiseau said...

Very funny--I'll wear a shirt with cherries on it next week so you can find me (I actually don't own a shirt with cherries on it but I should).

Alexa Johnson said...

Mmm. Cherries = Heaven. So great to have found your blog (thanks for visiting mine to make this possible!). I'll be visiting regularly!

Sara Christine said...

Mmm...cherries just appeared at the farmers market by my house. They're better than candy. I put a bowlful in my fridge and they'll be gone in two days.

Helene said...

I could get stranded on a desert island (or is a dessert iland, ahah) with 2 things: cherries and raspberries. Can't get enough!