Friday, June 27, 2008

A Really Custom Week

Had some fun custom orders this week. Even nicer that they were for some old friends, people I can create for specifically and contemplate their pieces with a more thoughtful direction--it's almost like getting a gift myself when I do custom work.

The necklaces above are for my good friend Ada Limon, poet extraordinaire, who is leaving her position at GQ to become Creative Director at Travel + Leisure! I had given her a little custom necklace with a little "A" foil-backed cabochon (I could only find A's, J's, and K's but am on the lookout for more letters!) so she asked if I could do some more like it for her two best friends at work as a parting gift.

Kristin, who's an interior designer and is no stranger to color, wanted something striking to go with her rich plum Vera Wang dress for a wedding in Chicago. It has a little wishbone charm and some amethyst colored pearls and turquoise glass Czech beads sewn into the lime green tulle, but I wanted to sew some antique silver sequins sewn into the tulle for sparkle, so it would catch the color of her dress--this way it would complement it without being matchy-matchy which she didn't want. I love that she went for something so vibrant--I think she wears it really really well!

2 comments:

Helene said...

That hair piece is perfect with the shade of purple of the dress. Looks so much fun to wear!

Bonbon Oiseau said...

I know--she's a really cool chick--can't wait to see the pictures from the wedding...