Saturday, May 3, 2008

134th Churhill Down's Derby spells 10 cups of Muddled Mint

lifted from the NY Times/ photo: Jeff Haynes/Reuters


Just found out Big Brown's owners are from my hometown of Bethpage, Long Island. Exciting. I just happen to be out in Bethpage right now. We are looking for some Mint Julep recipes as I write. This one and the pretty Marthaesque picture above are from Coastal Living magazine.*

Ingredients

2 cups water
3/4 cup sugar
3 cups loosely packed fresh mint leaves
2 cups bourbon (bb note: needs to be Kentucky or it ain't authentic peeps--I'd try Maker's Mark or Woodman' s Reserve )
Garnish: fresh mint

Preparation

Combine 2 cups water and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. (bb note: called Simple Syrup. Or Symple Sirup) once you've had a few) Add mint (bb note: I'd muddle it a bit to make it x-tra minty); bring to a boil. Remove from heat; cover and steep 30 minutes. Pour mint syrup through a fine wire-mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth. Let cool.

Combine syrup and bourbon. Pour into a sterilized bottle; cover tightly, and chill at least 1 month. (bb note: uhh-for real? Who has time for that? I say drink up now before it's too late) Serve over ice. Garnish, if desired.

Yield

Makes 4 cups (bb says: so better get crackin' on the rest--just buy a lot of mint today is all I'm saying)

*Bethpage is Near Coastal btw and is listed on that old map above as "Central Park". They changed the name to Bethpage in the 30's or 40's. Hey wait, is this interesting only to me and Joie?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? No mention of the fancy hat requirement?

Anonymous said...

I'm wearing a fancy hat right now...