Thursday, November 14, 2013

Whatever it Takes and Where to Send Help for Philippines Typhoon Victims




I have been making these little paintings as daily meditations. This week they are coming out like this, in tiny petals.


The fleeting sense of time involved in making a watercolor has been rooting me in the present as I plan and design objects and jewelry for future seasons, often while thinking about the past. 

The other night an entire shelf of dishes came crashing down and all I had left were some little tin bowls I had loved the minute I saw them and brought them home to NY all the way from Paris. The ephemerality of objects, what makes a home, what are the things we use to occupy it combine things you hold in your heart yet some are just markers of what you think you need or who you are at a certain time in your life, and all of it can go away in a heartbeat or a crashing shelf, a strong wind and we have no choice but to let go. Love and hope is longer and stronger, like little tin bowls. My heart goes out to the people of the Philippines who have lost so much. 

Click here to see how you can help. We gave to Doctors Without Borders. 

No comments: