Saturday, June 28, 2008

I suddenly have


Camera envy.

Maybe it's because I've been looking at so many blogs with gorgeous photos. Maybe it's because one of the brides who came over for a consultation last week had a small digital camera with her that could run circles around my little old canon elph.

I guess it had been rolling around in my mind--this feeling of wanting to make my photos better--when I looked deeper into a lovely blog that is new to me called cookworm. I saw she had won a contest on Food + Photography (congratulations!) and when I clicked through it was as if a whole new world had opened up to me...they listed which cameras each photgrapher had used.cookworm's really great photographs and
the winning photo, (third)

Jim, who is an amazing photographer, has a big Canon EOS1D Mark 2 (with a hyper alloy battle chassis and an overhead cam drive). It's always looked big and complicated to me but he was thinking about selling it and now I am thinking about learning to use it and maybe even purchasing a macro lens for it. I'd like to be able to take better pictures of my jewelry, of my food, of all the things that inspire.

May I ask what kinds of cameras do you all use for the kinds of work you do? And what kind of accoutrements do use with it?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should really go back to film and analog technology. A nice pinhole camera made from and empty case of pbr would really lend your food photos some real street cred. Either that or use a big bellows camera, and some of that flash powder, complete with the big black cape/veil thing over the viewfinder. Just saying..

Bonbon Oiseau said...

stop making fun of me fanceepants. and give me that camera!

cookworm said...

Thank you so much for the nice words! :) My photography-nerd friends swear by http://www.keh.com/ for good deals on new & used stuff. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I use the ever-popular Canon Rebel XTi and love it.

Anonymous said...

I have a Nikon D40. I love it, but I'm still learning to use it.

After doing a bit of research, I had narrowed brands down to either Canon or Nikon. I bought the Nikon after after reading this:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

Delice said...

Just found your blog today, lovely! As far as cameras go, I finally got the camera of my dreams this past christmas. I had done over a year of research, trying out different cameras and checking all angles. I settled on a Pentax K10. Unless you are going to do high end professional photography, Pentax and Olympus offer the most bang for your bucks. All of the DSLR's take beautiful pictures and all of them work on the same principals. Understanding how the camera works is the biggest asset in getting great pictures. Consider lenses. The availablity of lenses for each modle. Both Olympus and Pentax you can use ANY lens of thier brands ever made. Both Canon and Nikon limit your lens selection unless you are going for the high end professional. Just something to consider :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.