Thursday, March 5, 2009

Oui, oui, Paris! Oh, how I love thee...

It was October 2006, just one month shy of my wedding, and I, Miss Bee, was galavanting through Paris with my friend Nancy. We had flown there on her frequent flier miles—mine a free companion ticket, thanks to Nancy's constant travels—and were staying with a friend, just a stone's throw away from the Eiffel Tower. By any measure, I'd scored a free trip to Paris. How did I get so lucky?

Nancy had surprised me with the idea of a quick jaunt to Paris one night over dinner and drinks a few months earlier. Certain there were more drinks than dinner involved in her decision to whisk me away, gratis, I waited the next day for her to confirm that her offer still stood... that she had, in fact, been lucid when she'd offered me a free ticket to The City of Lights. She had. And we would... leave in late October—the perfect girls' getaway before my walk down the aisle. I was ecstatic!

There was only time for four or five nights away, but it was all we needed. We logged miles each day, on foot and sometimes by ferry, leaving no stone, shop, or scone unturned. Museums, gardens, cafes, and bars—we couldn't soak them in fast enough. And the shopping! Oh, the shopping. To this day, my favorite pair of boots (espresso brown, soft leather, two-buckle, scrunch-down beauties) were bought in a small boutique in the (oh, which was it again?) la-la arrondissement near our flat. Whenever I put them on, I smile and think back to that wonderful time spent in the apple of France's eye. It was completely magical and my do I have some wonderful friends.

A city like Paris is meant to be courted, cajoled, returned to again and again throughout one's life. I imagine the city I fell in love with two years ago will bring me something new and different when I return, perhaps a year or maybe five years from now. It is romantic and popping with energy and love and light. For now, I'll live vicariously through friends like Deb, and through my vivid memories of walks along the Seine. I can still close my eyes and smell the crisp, fall air now. Paris, je vous adore.
Merci, my lovely bonbons, for indulging my trip down memory lane. I hope you'll come visit me from time to time at my homes, The Lil Bee and Feather. And to my sweet Deb, safe travels and big kiss! J'adore.

18 comments:

Meg said...

Paris is magical! What a lovely post!

Julia said...

You picked the perfect images for describing your trip! I loved them!

Maggie May said...

what a wonderful, precious experience.

Sarah Ring said...

What a fun pre-wedding trip! I agree, Paris should always be returned to... never a one time trip!

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

i love this!!

Cindy said...

love your trip down memory lane and the pics are c'est magnifique!

Crissy said...

What a fantastic experience, and what a fabulour friend you have! Wow! I love having such happy, fond memories like the ones you described ...

Paris is such a special place - it's become my happy place, my home-away-from-home. I go as often as possible and it's always different, and always amazing.

Cheers,
Crissy

Vancouver, Canada

limonana said...

such a great friend! i feel the exact same way about Paris...magic magic magic!

Anonymous said...

I could not resist to post about your lovely collection. It is online now. Have a great time in Paris !

evencleveland said...

It sounds like the trip of a lifetime!

Learning Spanish at 41 said...

Perfect trip to take before (or after) a wedding...someday I'll get there. *sigh*

Bonbon Oiseau said...

I love this post ma petite abeille! What an incredible trip (esp in the la la arrondisement--my favorite arr!) what amazing friends to experience Paris with! I love the way you describe it all and yes, i think it changes with each trip but always romantic, even when jaded a bit! but that might be the foie gras talking..
thank you for your thoughtful wonderful post--i totally heart you...xoxoxoDEB!

dee said...

Glad you liked it, sweet bonbonettes! And Deb, thank YOU for allowing me to relive that experience:) Enjoy the rest of your stay there!! xx

cindy* said...

your trip sounds dreamy and perfect...as do the boots you picked up!

Anonymous said...

In the words of Liz Lemon, 'I want to go to there!' I can think of no better quickie vaycay than a whirlwind tour of paris with my best friend, in my case my mom. she and i have the same style and we'd leave no shop, no flea market unturned!

raining sheep said...

I definitely need to go to Paris!!

tyler said...

impossibly perfect. love reliving your memories. and oh how i love the shots of sjp. that slate gray dress is gorgeous.

Unknown said...

Oh! How wonderful! Yes, what a wonderful friend and wonderful memories! Thank you so much for sharing it with us...
xo
Melis