Thursday, March 12, 2009

Paris, Croissants and a Little Romance



Allo, sweet Bonbon readers. This is Aran from Cannelle Et Vanille and I am so happy to be here today in the always inspiring home of Bonbon Oiseau.

When I started to think about Paris, two things popped in my mind. One, macarons and two, croissants. Then I started to think about the last time I visited the city. It has been a long time. Way too long.



It was early summer, right before C and I got engaged. We were young and poor, but in love. I remember waking up in the morning, messy hair and all, walking down the street to get croissants and bringing them back to our room for breakfast. Croissants that were still warm and so flakey that they would break into a million little crumbs. Aren't those the best.



I wanted to recreate the mood of those days with some homemade croissants. The recipe comes from "Tartine", one of my favorite cookbooks. They do take a bit of time and planning but the result is amazing.



I wanted to thank Deb for sharing her home with me today. Have a great weekend!

22 comments:

Cindy said...

your croissants and photos look just delicious. thank you for sharing your memories of paris. all the interpretations have been so unique and interesting. great fun.

Helene said...

Dang I am hungry now!!
Love the Spring feeling in your post!

The Italian Dish said...

I don't know anyone who makes homemade croissants! They must be amazing - maybe I'll give it a go. Yours look delicious.

Anonymous said...

I made them once, in pastry school, and vowed myself to be a miserable failure at life. I don't think I'll ever attempt them again...but I am so, so impressed with yours. Beautiful! I love this blog!

Mango Gal said...

I just found your blog today via Love Meagan, it's wonderful!

Those pasteries look very yummy by the way.

Paul and Robyn said...

I too remember that time in Paris. It was the first time for Paul and I to be there. It was an amazing trip for sure. Made more special by having you and C with us. The croissants were amazing and my all time favorite bread to eat. Maybe you should bake some of them up and send them out to Colorado!

Anonymous said...

this is perfectly divine. What beautiful images...definitely evoking paris for me!!

AC said...

what lovely photos! i ate at tartine in san francisco and bought extra baked goods to take on the plane. pain au chocolat - highly drool worthy!

heidi said...

I can smell them baking.... YUM.

Malini said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cindy* said...

gorgeous aran! i love peonies and croissants and berries. well done and impressive as always...and sorry for snagging your first thought of macarons!
xo cindy

heidi said...

I thought I recognized the photo style... it's Aran's lush work! Always enticing, always dreamy ;)

Callie Grayson said...

mmm my favorite!

MS said...

Oh, yummy. When I was in Paris all I ate practically was croissants! Their so good!

Love the pink flower photo.

Y said...

Oh Aran, that Tartine recipe is the only one I've tried so far, and I too loved the result! I love the colours in your photos for this story - makes me think of romance and the seasons! :)

Melissa de la Fuente said...

Such a wonderful, lovely post. Those croissants look divine...I sure wish I could have one with my tea this morning. *sigh* YUM.
xo
Melis

hmstrjam said...

i love croissants and have always wanted to make my own- so fun! love the post!

Anonymous said...

Oh aran! how perfect do you think they will be stale in two days if i drive really fast:)

Toujours Dimanche said...

Oh my God, these photos are fabulous, as usual from Canelle et Vanille. We are going to bake croissants just like this.

Bonbon Oiseau said...

this is so beautiful aran---i love your story and these photos are gorgeous and light and springy and so pinky and...paris!

thank you for such a thoughtful post my dear! i love it
!

Anonymous said...

Croissants are just the best thing ever and your pics look delicious :-).

Esti said...

aran, homemade croissants must be the best!