Monday, June 1, 2009

Monday Dose: The Icelandic Poppy and Disorder














A close-up view of the "Icelandic (Arctic) Poppy"

I'm not sure whether I am more inspired by microscopic looks at things, the magnification of that thing, where you can see beyond the outside of what you think you see and get to the heart of what makes a thing a thing, deep below the surface...or this excited description of the "Icelandic (Arctic) Poppy" from UK site, "A Flower Garden of Macroscopic Delights" by Brian Johnston (Canada) (deb's new favorite site). Please read:

"Many plants have buds in which the enclosed petals are neatly packed. This is most definitely not the case with the arctic poppy! The extremely crinkled appearance of the fully open blooms (below) is due to the fact that the petals have been packed in a totally disorganized fashion within the bud, an example of which can be seen above. This crinkled appearance is however, not a detriment, but an attractive and interesting trait."
-Brian Johnson

I hereby declare this week "Disorganized and Crinkly Appearance Week" where-to-fore a disorganized and crinkly appearance for humans is no longer a detriment, but an attractive and interesting trait.
Wishing you many more inspirations for the week...

19 comments:

Cindy said...

a theme i can relate to ;). i think poppies are incredible flowers. the seeds are about as large as a grain of sand and they bloom so beautifully. cool photos.

peachey said...

i proudly support your themed week. (and these images are amazing)

AC said...

love these photos and i love poppies. i have the perfect dress for your theme! i will see you in it on wednesday.

erin said...

cheers to that!

Christine--RHP said...

I have two of those poppies growing in my yard....and just yesterday I was marveling at how they are so crumpled up when they bloom...amazing! That website is also amazing--I could spend the entire morning there learning about flowers.

Julia said...

Okay, these pictures are turning me on. Royally. Is that too much information?

Bonbon Oiseau said...

hahaha! julia, i'm with you..these flowers are downright sexy!
christine, this site is really incredible huh?
everyone else, hooray-yay to crumply disorder week.

hmstrjam said...

maybe a little too close for me but I love poppies!

Mandarine D'Italie said...

Absolutely! I'll join in with this one ......great week ahead .. Blooming is in the air ... (lovely images)

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

Very nice photos! Such a refreshing treat for my Monday :)

P. said...

Wow oh wow - the poppy is one of my favorite flowers. These photographs are amazing.

As someone who is always slightly rumpled, I'm glad to hear that my look is finally socially acceptable...

cindy* said...

you mean i don't have to iron all my wrinkly clothes still sitting in the laundry basket from last week? hellz yeah...this is my kind of theme deb!

i love icelandic poppies, they look like crinkly tissue paper to me. but, ohmy, my first reaction to the first three photos was dirty...then had to actually laugh. a lot. hehe

mosey said...

wow, amazing pictures. They give this new strange perspective to poppies...

Mrs.French said...

I am completely disorganized and crinkly...I must be perfect then...hehe...

I love this post...we planted poppies for the first time last year and they bloomed this year...I love that they do not open slowly, it's as if they pop! which makes so much more sense now...

xo t

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

gotta love that! i'm in!

Amy@OldSweetSong said...

shazam. love disorganzied and crinkly appearance week, it happens to be one of my fave weeks.

Amanda said...

Iceland poppies are my fave. Too lovely!

High Desert Diva said...

Brilliant photography.

Love the title of the week! Describes perfectly what happens if I so much as look at linen, let alone consider wearing it.....

Esti said...

amazing images!